From: "Nancy Grossman" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b Celtic Matches
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:43:55 +0100

David Faux wrote:

"Based on a limited sample size I will conclude (with reservations) that
there is not much difference in the match profile for any of the above
groups. It would not be possible to tell the difference between Welsh and
Scottish for example. None of the Welsh or Scottish or Cornish samples had
any matches from their respective countries of origin. With Ireland,
occasionally Irish matches predominated.

What was so astounding (to me) was that virtually all individuals from all
these countries had matches from Iceland (sample size approximately 110),
the greatest number of matches being with individuals from this country. A
close second was Shetland (sample size approximately 40), followed by
Portugal (sample size about 30). France and England also frequently figured
into the mix. Just for comparison sake I examined the numbers relating to
myself (England) and one of my cousins (Germany). We both had virtually the
same profile as each other, and as the 'Celtic sample'."

-oo0oo-

I am not surprised that natives of Celtic areas have matches in Iceland,
because from what I recall Icelanders are descended from both Scandinavians
and Celts. I guess what surprised David is that they all matched with
Iceland, instead of matching with others from their own countries.

I just typed "Iceland Scandinavia Celt" in Google and found an interesting
paper from 1997 entitled "Geolinguistics and Haematology: The Case of
Britain" by Wolfgang Viereck, University of Bamberg. Below is a paragraph
from this paper (I haven't read it through yet. Just noticed this paragraph
right away.):

www.bib.uab.es/pub/linksandletters/11337397n5p167.pdf

"One of the results of geographic haematology, i.e. of the regional
diffusion of blood groups, was the discovery of the peripheral haematologic
position of certain populations based on the knowledge that blood group
genes in rural populations tend to remain stable over a very long period of
time. By far the highest proportion of blood group 0 is found today at the
periph-ery of Europe, in Mediterranean islands, namely on Crete, Tinos, the
Lipary Isles, on Sardinia, Corsica, in the Basque territory, in a number of
Alpine valleys, in the Celtic fringe (i.e. in Brittany, Wales, Ireland
and Scotland) and in Iceland. (1)

(1) The earlier view linked the original colonists of Iceland with the
British Isles and thus 'Celt-ic' influence was postulated. On Iceland cf.
now Bernard (1983).(*) Shortened version of a paper delivered at the
University of Uppsala, Sweden, on November 7, 1996."

-oo0oo-

Now, six years later, we know of the DNA connection between the Basques and
the Celts as well.

Nancy Grossman Gollner

This thread: