From: "Fred Vines" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Was it a dream? Haplogroup O
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:02:02 +1100

My Vines lineage is traceable to 1689 in Nth Wiltshire England, with further local records of the name to a hundred
years earlier.
As they were yeomen, tenant farmers on long leases they left plenty of wills, so signed and dated documentation is
readily available with firm information on the families.

I was surprised mystified at the initial indication of "N" for the haplogroup, this being commonest in Nth Russia,
Siberia, Mongolia, many in Finland. My guess would have been origins in the Anglo Saxons, as the locality is in NW
of the old Wessex kingdom.

Apparently the sample sat waiting for more SNP requests for "N" confirmation, before it was performed, then
retested when found not to be "N". It appears that we will have to wait for more group "O" results to turn up
before it is defined. I don't have any reason to suspect a connection between us yet, Louis, but I hope I don't die
wondering!
Fred Vines