Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplotype C and R1b
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:25:20 EST

In a message dated 11/30/03 1:37:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> This man traces his roots to N. Ireland with paper documentation but his
> DNA
> is anything but. What do I tell him? Would a Haplotype C person have Easter
> Indian charachteristics? He doesn't appear to nor does his ancestors photos.

We've had a few cases of Haplogroup C mentioned on the mailing list. If
you'll search the archives for "Haplogroup C*" (with the asterisk and the quotes),
you'll come across them, including a fairly lengthy one from last October by
Bonnie Schrack which mentions Genghis Khan.

Some terminology: the Y-chromosome haploTYPE is the more specific set of
results you get on your DYS markers, e.g. DYS388=12, DYS390=24, etc. HaploGROUPs
are defined in a different way, but for now you can think of them as a cluster
of similar haplotypes.

Alphanumeric labels are used for both mtDNA and Y-chromosome haplogroups, but
the labelling systems was developed independently, so they're not
coordinated.You can sometimes tell from context whether a person is talking about mtDNA
or Y, but not always. For example, there's no such thing as an R1b mtDNA label,
so we can assume the message is about Y haplogroups, but both mtDNA and Y
have J2 labels. Haplogroup C for mtDNA is one of the Native American
haplogroups.