Subject: Re: [DNA] Genetic Distance calculation - Comments re MacGregor and a further ...
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:31:19 EST

In a message dated 11/30/03 6:01:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> As far a I can tell none of the experts have responded on this so let me
> word my question another way. If you match the total of 464a-d , you
> get a match. The differences are in 464b and 464d and when you total
> them, the differiences "wash-out" leaving only one 3-step differience.

DYS464a-d are actually four independent copies of the same sequence, so they
can mutate independently. The problem is that we can't tell which is which, so
the results are always given in ascending order. That means you can't total
them up -- that would be like adding the results of DYS390, DYS391, DYS392, and
DYS393. The total could mask actual differences.