Subject: Re: [DNA] Lindberg and DNA
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:14:54 EST

In a message dated 11/29/03 10:57:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Does anyone have any additional information? I wonder what specific DNA was
> used. I understand that three children, two men and one woman are involved
> and that they are in the process in writing a book.

One news release said that the three of them were compared with "a member" of
the American Lindbergh family, without specifying the sex or relationship.
They probably used paternity testing techniques, which can be extended to more
distant relationships. That would use markers on the autosomal (non-sex)
chromosomes, which come in pairs, one inherited from the father and the other from
the mother. The three German siblings combined probably have a good sample of
Charles Lindbergh's markers. It sounds like they have more markers in common
with the American Lindbergh than you would expect by chance. Y-chromosome
testing could also be used for the two German men if the American Lindbergh is a
male.