Subject: Re: [DNA] Was it a dream? Haplogroup O
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:24:55 EST

In a message dated 11/30/03 4:47:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Thanks Ann. Under Haplogroup on my personal page FTDNA show
> O M175+ LLY22- (ie ...minus) but the matches are still given as
> haplogroup N. Perhaps still to be
> updated or could N group be a later overlap over an earlier era O grouping?
> Not clear on this.

That's probably because your haplotype is still somewhat closer to the N than
the O -- among the samples they have collected so far. I forget now -- were
you a really close match to N, or was that just the best starting point? Now
that you've been tested, they will have a new reference point for O. If they put
you in the database, you should have one perfect match for O, namely
yourself!

I don't think it's possible to tell whether Haplogroup O or N originated
first -- they're at the same "level" on the phylogenetic tree. They do have a
common ancestor, so they are likely to resemble each other somewhat.