From: "hamman" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Is there anyone on the list that can give me a conclusive answer as to which rule is the "Standard Rule for the 12 marker world standard test".
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:48:59 -0800

I agree, in a surname project, how in the world can one prove by
conventional genealogy that there are no non-paternity events after dozens
of transmissions??? I'll tell you how, a good old fashioned 12-marker YDNA
test. Here's an actual example: my greatgrandfather Lester Hamman was born
1 year before his biological parents were married. In fact, Lester's dad
was still married to his first wife when Lester was born. My father and
another descendant (a Hammond) of my 4th Greatgrandpa Hamman took the
12-marker test and we both had a very rare 12-marker haplotype, as of today
the only one of its kind in any database and therefore no need to upgrade to
25-markers. The results forced my grandmother to reveal the family
secret -- Lester's mom was the nanny -- and so the 12-marker tests helped
prove Lester was indeed a Hamman by blood.
Brian Hamman