From: "Whit Athey" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Human Evolutionary Genetics & Jefferson haplotype
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:36:41 -0500

In regard to Jefferson's haplogroup, someone earlier said that he might be
O, but to me that did not seem reasonable. However, in looking at the
haplotype, I can see why O was suggested--it isn't far off. Jefferson is
probably in one of the closely related groups like N. Here are some
estimated modal values for a couple of groups (but based on rather limited
data):

DYS: 019 388 389a 389b 390 391 392 393

L 15 12 13 17 23 10 13 11

N3 14 12 14 16 24 11 14 13/14

Jeff 15 12 12 15 24 10 15 13

Note that a value of 15 for DYS-019 occurs at a frequency of about 20%, so
it is not very unusual. 12 for 389a is more rare in N3, but in the very
limited sample (n=12) that Dennis Garvey shows, there was actually one value
of 11 that occurred, so 12 seems also possible.

Haplogroup L seems unlikely for the same reason as does O--they are rare in
Europe. An N3 haplotype, on the other hand, is one of the 30 most common in
the YSTR database.

Whit

This thread: