From: OrinWells <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Sorenson results
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:10:08 -0800

At 06:55 PM 3/4/2004, Dean McGee wrote:

>Am I missing something? Maybe the sample size is too small, but it seems
>odd that there are so many exact matches and so few near matches.

Maybe not. Keep in mind that most of the contributors to the Molecular
Genealogy Project early on were out of the Mormon Church. That means a lot
of them are likely related even if separated by significant
distances. This is because the Church was pretty close nit for many years
until they started significantly increasing through recruiting. If you
look at the genealogies in the Sorenson database you will see a lot of Utah
connections. I don't know how or if that would relate to finding many
surnames who manifest a similar or the same DNA pattern though. And I do
NOT mean to cast anything on the Mormons. All the ones I know are great
people and I have a great respect for the church and their members.

In the early years there was a lot of polygamy in the church. One can't
help wondering if that practice might have contributed somewhat to the
rather high rate of different surname matches. One of their early leaders
was a Daniel Hamner Wells who had 7 wives and 35 children. I don't know if
all the children he sired carried his surname as I have never really looked
into this family. I don't know even if the family is represented in our
study although I believe he was from one of the New England states.

Orin R. Wells
Wells Family Research Association
P. O. Box 5427
Kent, Washington 98064-5427
<>
http://www.wells.org
Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

This thread: