From: Robert Paine <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Excellent article
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 19:32:00 -0800

I have just recently taken the FTDNA 25 marker and Mtdna plus tests. I
don't expect results for quite a while.

I should have said the most likely line of my Y-Dna is back to the
Baltic regions.(Either Norman or Saxon). This is only based on my
knowledge of the history of Norfolk (East Anglia)(earliest ancestor is
Norfolk about 1510). The test results will hopefully answer for sure.
(Could even be fathered by the Nubian slave of a Roman mercenary??)

The maternal Mtdna line is basically unknown. Westport, County Mayo,
Ireland 1887.

I am a history nut! (Neolithic / Bronze / iron / historic) (Who invented
the first boat / Etc.? When?)

I am thinking that the science of DNA has finally gotten to the point
that it may start to answer some of our questions. If nothing else my
tests will increase the database from which improved systems /
procedures / stats and estimates will evolve. We are witnessing the
birth of genetic science; we will not live to see this science come to
maturity.

I remember how fast and marvelous my first 286 (640k memory) computer
was, and for only $2,400. I feel we are at the start of the learning curve.

R Paine

This thread: