Subject: Re: [DNA] MTDNA test
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 11:07:40 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/04 2:13:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> I am told it gives anthropoligy info only. So is it true, it will give me
> possible matching results on my maiden name, my mother's maiden name, her
> mother's maiden name, etc?

If you get an mtDNA test and find some matches in a database, the odds are
very low that you'll be able to figure out a genealogical connection. I know of
only one case where a random match panned out. The same "haplotype" (the
complete set of results on the test) can endure for thousands of years. For
example, we have people on the mailing list who match the Ice Man, who lived about
5,000 years ago.

However, there are many different haplotype patterns. If you start with a
theory that you are related to another line, and you can find a female-line
descendant to test, then a match would be a strong support for your hypothesis.
Also, mtDNA projects with a well-defined focus, such as Mennonites who trace
their ancestry to a small number of founders, could come up with meaningful
results.

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html

This thread: