From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] First Settlement of Norway?
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:29:07 -0700 (PDT)

This makes eminently good sense Ken. But we are left with the R1b "problem". The 30% of Norwegians with this haplogroup do not appear to be clearly distinguishable from Spaniards - although with 37 markers we may pick up a marker set found only in Norwegian R1bs. However, is it possible that all the R1bs are descendants of Britons who were captured and brought back as slaves?

At the moment I tend to agree that Q and R1a arrived first, followed by I1a, then R1b - this is the most likely sequence of settlement. We need confirmatory evidence and a better way to date the proposed arrivals. Perhaps we will find a SNP or STR series that is seen only in Norse and related peoples - that is why we will be using a suite of 37 markers with the belief that surely this will serve to help us differentiate between the various European peoples.

David.

Ken Nordtvedt <> wrote:
As early as 8000 BC early stone age people were living at Norway's most
northerly edge. This was the "komsa culture", and these folks stuck to the
coast and islands and lived off the sea. They had to, as the ice cap of
Scandinavia came right close to the ocean's edge. At one time this
northerly early stone age culture was thought to be different than another
coastal culture of SW Norway and Oslofjord. Today, the scholars think they
were basically the same.

But the route of these peoples into the coastal edge of Norway could have
been from the east in present-day north Russia --- or from the southern
approaches (Central Europe). The "Q" haplogroup (and maybe R1a) could have
come to Norway then. The Saami seem to have come much later, and the
Germanic peoples bringing the language (and I1a?) seem to have come to
Norway only in the first millenium before Christ.

Ken

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: