From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Another English "Q"
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 00:41:38 -0700 (PDT)

Robert:

One of the most important resources in the interpretation of your scores is the FTDNA Haplogroup Database. Could you possibly give us an indication of the number of matches shown per country. There are likely many hints available here that can be assessed prior to consideration of SNP testing.

Perhaps Max could enter the discussion at this point and clarify what SNP tests FTDNA can offer in relation to Q haplotypes (e.g., P36, M242). Much of the early work in this area has only typed to P(xR) with the assumption that this is Q.

David.

Robert Paine <> wrote:

"Q" in the UK and Viking homelands. My "Q" was assigned by FTDNA based
on a 12 standard marker test. How valid is this assignment? How many of
those "Q" assignments had SNP tests? I have not, FTDNA has offered me
the test for "Q", how detailed is their test? Will it show if I am Q,
Q1, Q2, Q3, or some other sub-group?

Could Helgason's unknown "R" and our assigned "Q"s be parts of some as
yet undefined subgroup.

MY 385b = 20 appears to be rare even in the "Q" haplogroup.

Does anyone know of a university doing a full spectrum SNP/UEP study, I
would be willing to participate. I have already sent samples to
Sorenson. On paper my line goes back to Norfolk England 1600.

My first 12 marker results.

FTDNA says "Q". Other results pending
393 13
390 23