From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b Frequency of 23 at marker 390 in Spanish origin sample as compared to Irish
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:20:41 -0400

Hi Gary and all,

That sounded like fun, so I gave it a try. I looked at just a sample of
ysearch data, looking through the C's for England, through H for Ireland and
Scotland, and all 7 I found in Spain (2 of 8 had the same name). Like you I
only used one per name. I didn't count "United Kingdom." In Ireland, I
didn't count ones obviously from Northern Ireland. I think my sampling
technique is fair; I got the same 11% in Ireland for DYS390=23 as you did.
Also, at ysearch, I only looked at R1b, not the subclades.

Country----23---24---25

Ireland----11%--48%--37% (total=27)
Scotland---17%--55%--17% (total=18)(11% are 26)
England----31%--55%--07% (total=29)(1 was 22; 1 was 28)
Spain------00%--70%--30% (total=7)

If you consider the direction England-Scotland-Ireland increasingly R1b-ish,
then I note that the value of 23 decreases and the value of 25 increases,
while a value of 24 (the AMH value) stays about the same. (Gary, what was
your percentage in Spain for 24 and 25?)

Based just on the above, it looks to me as if 25 was perhaps an ancient
British value, with the 23 value coming from the invaders. I think the count
for Spain is too small to make much out of it, but Spain appears more like
Ireland than England.

Personally, 11 of 12 of us American Hursts have a value of 23 for 390. Guess
we're not Spanish, and more likely English than Irish. (I recently
corresponded with someone descended from two Hurst lines. His family legend
was that ONE line was Irish. In reality, the two lines were from brothers
born in Stafford County, VA.)

Bill Hurst

This thread: