Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA Tests, Companies, etc.
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:22:16 EDT

In a message dated 06/21/04 8:39:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> Some questions:
>
> 1) In simple terms - what's the difference between
>
> HyperVariable Region 1 (HVR1)
>
> and
>
> HVR2
>
> Is that the equivalent of 12 markers vs. 25 markers (or whatever) in Y
> testing?

There are some parallels. Haplogroup assignments are often predicted from
HVR1 (like the Y 12-marker test), and apparent matches with HVR1 can disappear
when HVR2 is tested (like going from a 12/12 match to a 21/25 match on a Y
test). Not all labs measure HVR2, but by far the most research has been done on
HVR1.

> 2) Another (probably dumb) question - if one tests with OA (known for the 7
> daughters hype) but is not one of the 7 daughters - are they going to find
> out which other haplogroup they belong too?

Yes, OA has illustrations of their reports for European and world-wide
haplogroups. The European network diagram is far more detailed.

http://oxfordancestors.com/service-matriline.html

> 3) I know a few people on this list have Y tested at more than one lab and
> have results charts on their web sites. Has anyone done this for mtDNA?

I don't recall too many cases, but I don't recall any discrepancies, either.
There are no nomenclature problems, since you get the actual sequence.

> 4) I have not read Sykes book (spouse's scientific friends sniff at it) -
> but I suppose I should? Right?

I still recommend it as a good starting point. Sykes has a gift for
explaining complex material, expanding your world view, and making you curious about
your own ancestry. Some of the "sniffers" may object to the imaginative
narratives that Sykes provides for the seven daughters, but it's just a literary
device to emphasize that the clan mothers were real individuals, not just
abstractions.

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html

This thread: