From: "Roberta J. Estes" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Celts in Central Europe
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:27:49 -0400

I have to disagree that history is divorced and out of place here. The
known history helps to explain movements, what cultural information we
have, perceptions of other cultures, and in conjunction with
archeological findings, and DNA, set the stage for the human migration
patterns, and therefore, our DNA migration patterns. The history,
sparce as it is, sets the stage for who, where and sometimes why. After
all, we want to understand what the DNA numbers mean, but the ultimate
reason we all started on this journey was to understand who we are and
where we came from. We need all the pieces of the puzzle we can find.
By virtue of the age of the puzzle itself, we are necessarily missing
several pieces so to intentionally divorce any segment from the
neverending process of solving the puzzle would be akin to putting
blinders on. When someone asks how our ancestors came to be in Western
Europe and then the US - the answer they are looking for clearly isn't
"they had sex and then the DNA combined except for the Y-line and MtDNA"
- they are looking for something like "after the last glacial maximum,
our ancestors moved into the area of present day Germany where they were
called Gauls by the Romans, Celts by others. Given the time in which
our DNA appears in the English stock, they likely were soldiers
conscripted....." or whatever our personal DNA story turns out to be.
Without history, the only answer available to us will be much less
interesting DNA answer - but with out the DNA evidence - we will never
be able to give the more fleshy historically based second answer either.
They must go hand in hand.

And also, I thought that our list moderator was the person to end a
thread that was inappropriate if she sees it as such. Her judgement has
always proven to be excellent.

Roberta Estes