Subject: Re: [DNA] Data Analysis/Interpretation Issues
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:09:16 EDT

In a message dated 08/26/04 7:42:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> I have not liked the way the labs have been telling people what our
> haplotypes "mean" or are! It's been too based on unspecified recipes they
> have developed without full disclosure with the customers.

Ken, are you referring to haplogroup predictions at FTDNA? These don't really
use a recipe or algorithm. They're based on look-ups, comparing your results
to actual records where a person has been tested for both SNPs and STRs
(12-marker, I believe). Their database has over 6,000 records, collected from global
research studies as well as customers. If you results are very close to an
existing record (0 or 1 mismatch), your SNP test would most likely confirm the
"best guess," but if your best match is 3 or 4 steps away, we've seen cases
where the prediction doesn't hold up after a SNP test.

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html

This thread: