From: "J. M. Freed" <>
Subject: Chimp, haplogroup A?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:16:42 -0400

Doug McDonald wrote: Friday, September 24, 2004 10:16 AM:

"The standard charts show a back mutation, such that haplogroup A is
the ancestral state and all others except R1a are the derived state. I
assume without checking that this is because chimps are at the same
state as A and R1a."

Doug, can you explain the above statement further and I hope I have
not taken it too much out of context. Are you saying that Chimp males
have the Y chromosome A haplogroup? If not, has anybody reported on
how close the Chimp Y chromosome haplogroup is to the Haplogroup A in
humans? (Of course, we have the related and unanswerable question, do
all chimp males have the same haplogroup?)

Jim

This thread: