From: "Mark MacDonald" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] SNP Testing - An R1a Surprise
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:25:47 -0500

David
I respect your theories concerning the Norwegian and ultimate Central
Asian source of Somerled's paternal ancestry but your skepticism on the
ability to do precise genetic genealogy from a particular individual
with numerous known descendants is wholly offbase: the original
"doubting Thomas" has nothing on you. Must you place your hand in a
body cavity to believe that for at least this one human, the data and
historical genealogies match at 25 and 37 markers.

At least 40% of my Somerled signature group have been SNP tested by Mark
Jobling and/or Peter deKnijff of Leiden. 100% are 19 21 at YCA. At 25
markers 9 are still at the signature, 7 are one mutation and 6 are two
mutations( including one obvious double jump in one mutation from one
individual who SNP tests R1a and has a judicially recognized pedigree
to Somerled). We are asking the entire group to test at 37 markers to
get enough variation to sort cousins.

Just as importantly the existing mutations at 25 and 37 markers all
are consistent with the published modal values and permit us to
confidently assert that no mutations had appeared in either the
Clanranald or Keppoch chief lines before at least specific chiefs in
the mid 16th century. We also can, for example, distinguish between
Bohuntin line Keppochs and Achnacoichean line Keppochs. We can also
distinguish among Bornish,Glenaladale,and Milton line Clanranalds using
that published signature. Although each of these lines descend from
John, Lord of the Isles circa 1330 to 1380, the Sykes study which
independently concluded that my three chiefs, another Clan Donald chief,
the Mac Allister chief,and a large number of MacDougals are all of
common descent using the Oxford 10 markers further supports my Somerled
markers. I agree that to be precise to cover the potential for a
mutation in the generations Somerled,Ranald,Donald, Angus Mor, Angus Og,
and John from whom my samples of known pedigree descend, I need some R1a
MacDougalls and MacAllister samples(Dougal descended from Ranald:
Alister from Angus Mor).

If, after this summary you still wish to confidentially share this data
to further our common interest in this R1a line ( which sticks out in
the highlands and Hebrides like a very brightly defined beacon), I will
share the data. I wish my many R1bs were this simple.

Mark Mac Donald
Clan Donald Project Director