From: "Whit Athey" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Caveat emptor - Trace Genetics
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:50:49 -0500

I ordered a series of SNP tests through Trace Genetics, potentially down to
the most derived state of a particular haplogroup, but I specified the order
in which they were to be done and asked that they stop if they encountered
negative results. They did the two that I wanted done regardless, and when
they found both negative, they let me know and stopped. I believe that if
that is what you intended, then you needed to say it up front. If someone
ordered every subclade test of a particular haplogroup from me, including
several that could not possibly all be positive, I would assume that the
testee wanted the tests done regardless, and the order was just a matter of
convenience for the lab. If you want to go through the haplogroup structure
in an ordered manner (i.e., in a logical series, rather than all in
parallel), then it will necessarily take longer. They probably thought that
because of the way the order was placed, time was more important than money
for you in this case.

Whit