From: Bev Anderson <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Irish surname looks at Celtic/Viking Distinctions
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 04:03:00 -0800 (PST)

Yes - I remember reading a list of cities in Ireland founded by Vikings at one time, and there were at least half a dozen or more coastal cities on the list, but I don't remember the names of all of them.

Yes - There were monks in Ireland before the Vikings. I don't recall reading who came with them, but monks marrying and/or living with women was fairly common at the time, and for centuries after that, too. I don't remember reading about monks in Iceland before the Vikings, but it's entirely possible. (Hard to say who traveled most in that region in those days: the monks or the Vikings! :-)) I do not remember if it was Iceland or Greenland, but I remember a reference to one or both of them having an Eskimo population at one time, too. (In one of those places, mummies were found that had Eskimo-type clothing - saw it a long time ago on a PBS show, think Nova.)

Your point is well taken. The DNA markers for some fairly exotic mixtures might be found in some of the people in the British Isles and Iceland and elsewhere in Europe through the centuries, most especially in or near the traditional coastal cities where ships from many distant lands came to port.

wrote:
All the prinicpal coastal cities of Ireland were founded by Vikings, not just Dublin.

My point is, there was much intermarriage, or intermixing , between Vikings and Irish from 800 AD on. Even in Iceland. I don't recall the source, but I remember reading that when the Vikings "discovered" Iceland there already were Irish monks there, and monks in those days probably had women with them. Plus which, the Iceland Vikings who raided Ireland surely took back Irish women as slaves.

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!