From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Jewish/non-Jewish surname and Y-DNA results
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

Eric:

Actually, I consider Hammer's ethnicity to be
irrelevant. He is a "Jewish researcher" because he
has published numerous studies on Jewish DNA, has a
database devoted to Jewish samples, and a particular
interest in Jews as an ethnic group. He may have
other genetic interest as well, though I'm not aware
what those are. Perhaps stating: Hammer is a DNA
researcher whose primary focus is Jewish genetics -
would have been more accurate. He could also be a
"Native American researcher" for all I know (ie,
specifically researches Native American genetics). I
don't think there is anything "snide" about
acknowledging that he is a leader in exploring the
genetic origins of the Jews?

I think you may have misinterpreted my statement as
indicating something about his ethnicity rather than
his area of study. I could have clearer in my
description of Hammer, but I think the name-calling
was unnecessary and counterproductive. I don't want to
engage in name-calling or snideness or disrespectful
discussion and I think I've been courteous in my
postings. I'd appreciate the same type of treatment
from others. If you disagree with something I have
stated, then I suggest you ask for clarification,
restatement, or indicate your disagreement in a
courteous fashion.

Further, you seem to want to jump all over me rather
than address the more relevant scientific issues
regarding FTDNA potentially slanted database,
misimpressions caused by that database, or the
possible genetic mechanisms involved in
Jewish/non-Jewish DNA matches. I don't see any
discussion of that in your response, nor any response
to (my respectfully posed) questions. I suppose that
is just not as fun as calling someone "snide" and
"disrespectful," but probably far more relevant to
List discussions.

Ellen Coffman

This thread: