From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Editing help
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 16:16:41 -0600

> You can turn it around the other way, too. I have a SWEET project in
> which absolutely every member tested so far is R1b. No one that I
> know of has ever suggested this surname is of Welsh origin, but it
> could very be that its (multiple) origins are concentrated in parts
> of England where R1b is more common than average.

I'm R1b, for example. The paternal line is from Yorkshire (which was
right smack in the middle of the Danelaw), and the family name is an Old
English/Old Norse cognate. (Means 'fox'.) The odds of my having any
significant Welsh ancestry are negligible; back that far it seems to be all
Anglo-Saxon and Norman (Dane). (With a considerable dollop of Irish
Viking added in the 1850s.)

Glen

This thread: