Subject: Re: [DNA] Newbie: National Geographic, Relative Genetics, DNA
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 14:39:16 +0000

Malcolm:

I am the first to agree that the company you mention would be well advised to change the wording on some of the webpages as you are not the only one who has expressed bewilderment. Frankly I to am surprised that the outmoded haplogroup descriptions have not been updated.

I did not say that the haplogroup testing that they do is wonderful, in fact it is as basic as you can get. Where they shine is in the haplogroup database showing your matches to SNP tested samples from around the world.

The call for H1 testing is at he moment very low, although I know that they are making inroads into the Indian SubContinent selling their Y-STR test so in the future they may need to develop the primers for this haplogroup. People who want specialized testing will have to go elsewhere. By the way the amount they charge is actually quite reasonable - any less and they would lose any incentive to offer this option. Where they shine is in the promise to "find" your haplogroup if their algorithm is in error. There must be times when they really have to bite the bullet and lose a lot of money in this quest.

David F.

> David writes,
> "Malcolm, you appear to be confounding your anger with one testing
> company and the way they describe SNPs in their literature with both
> myself and SNP testing in general. Your rationale for jumbling these
> four elements eludes me."
>
> David, I highly value your input to this List. My anger at the way my
> Surname Group participants have been treated by FTDNA may have spilled
> over into the wording of my posting.
> There is a half-truth in the FTDNA STR prediction offer which says - "If
> we are wrong in our prediction, we will keep testing your Y-DNA at no
> additional charge until we have your Haplogroup confirmed."
> To describe a product which does not fully do what participants have
> paid for can hardly be described as "wonderful".
> You wrote -
> > Only FTDNA's wonderful SNP tested databases from the Hammer lab at the
>
> U of Arizona could have done this for me. They are the only firm that
> offers the world - wide SNP tested databases that are automatically
> compared to our Y-STR scores so we can see the present day geographical
>
> distribution of our haplotypes.<
>
> The linkage of the wonderful database and the testing company FTDNA in
> your posting in my opinion gives a misleading impression.
>
> In brief - The haplogroup information provided by FTDNA to participants
> leaves much to be desired and the participants who think they are buying
> a SNP test to identify their haplogroup are not - because FTDNA do not
> test H1 for instance.
> Malcolm Dodd

This thread: