From: "gareth.henson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] yDNA, dys464, infertility in males
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 20:49:20 +0100

Jennifer

see http://jmg.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/42/4/366?ul for the original
paper which was published in April.
To date we have had only one case of totally absent DYS464 reported on this
list.

The results we have been discussing recently for DYS464 are where there is
ambiguity in the number of copies detected, but there are correlated
patterns in the nearby markers DYS459 and CDY which suggest something more
than just normal independent stepwise mutations. From the results as
published we don't know whether all or any of these cases involve deletions
or whether any deletions would necessarily imply a loss of fertility. There
is a lot of redundancy in this area of the Y chromosome and in many cases 2
copies of the relevant genes may work just as well as 4.

For those listers following the discussion the following 2 papers may be of
interest

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJHG/journal/issues/v74n3/40915/40915.html
http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v35/n3/full/ng1103-201.html

In the diagrams in these papers and the others they reference which use
similar structure diagrams, there is a standard colour-coding for repeated
sections of DNA. DYS464 is in the red sections and DYS459 and CDY are in the
yellow sections. The marker P25 which defines R1b is in the green sections.

Gareth