From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Anglo-Saxon
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:49:48 -0400

Diana wrote:

> I thought Anglo-Saxons were the Dutch/Low-Germans who settled in England
> prior
> to the Norman Conquest. Wouldn't their DNA appear Germanic? Or do I
> mis-understand the meaning of Anglo-Saxon?

I see there has already been a lot of discussion of this. My 23/10 R1b
haplotype is not close to the Irish/Celtic/WAMH varieties I've seen. I
haven't seen anything too close, but we seem to be closer to the groups
variously identified as North Sea-Baltic, Greater Frisian, or maybe the
Alpine varieties of R1b. If the latter, maybe it was someone who came over
with the Romans. But Anglo-Saxon is still my best guess. As I have said
before, I have only two matches on YHRD, one from London and one from
Leuven, Belgium.

My ysearch number is ZV3N9 if anybody wants to give me a better estimate.

Bill Hurst

This thread: