From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Newbie's question re a 36/37 match - YCAIIa,b
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:52:43 -0600

That means his I ancestors parted ways with the R1a ancestors tens of
thousands of years ago. 19,21 is the normal and dominant value at YCAIIa,b
for both I1a and I1c. If you have 11 at DYS455 you are highly likely I1c;
if you have 8 at DYS455 you are highly, highly likely I1a.

19,21 is a relative oddity in R1a except for that "Norwegian" bunch we have
talked about for months on the list. The Norwegian bunch has descendants
who also got to the British Isles, Iceland, and other places where Vikings
roamed. But the underlying groups R1a versus I1a and I1c had a common
ancestor only back many, many thousands of years. One marker does not make
a haplotype.

Ken