From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Newbie's question re a 36/37 match
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:55:15 -0700 (PDT)

Melissa,

Despite all the hype about using DNA to tear down break walls, chances of success are very low with random surname testing. Most projects simply end up grouping related people. If two matching donors have already exhausted all records in their bottom-up research, knowing that they have a common ancestor further out is not going to help them. They still have to find the father, his father and so forth of their most remote documented ancestor.

The value of a match is in finding someone who has information that might reveal a good starting point for top-down research. Projects can increase the odds of genealogical success by targeting tests on those with such information (e.g., an older family tree) in a methodical manner. Then "orphans" can see if they match or not. Even if they don't, testing eliminates a lot unproductive research.

A good example of the methodolgy is the Wells Project at:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wellsfam/dnaproje/dnaproje.html

Bob Stafford

Melissa <> wrote:
I am probably grasping at straws here, but my extended family has been trying to get beyond our brick wall for decades. We are stuck at a Benjamin SPRINGER d.c1803. The only thing we know about him is the guardianship papers dated 1803 for his son Samuel Robinson SPRINGER b.1789.

This thread: