From: "John McEwan" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] R1b with DYS393 = 12
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:40:56 +1300

Dear Gareth

These are good questions and I know what you are thinking.

Well actually R1bSTR23 appears "close" on the cluster diagrams but it
only shares DYS390 =23 with STR22 and STR27 whereas STR22 and STR27 also
share DYS456=17.

In contrast STR23 shares with STR24: DYS390=23 DYS439= 11 and DYS458=15.

My answer is I do not know if STR23 is primarily S21+ or S21-, but the
odds may be slightly tipped to S21- However, I would like to see several
results for STR24 before making any pronouncements.

Hope this helps.

John McEwan