From: "Nelda Percival" <>
Subject: Autosomal DNA /yDNA/ Question..
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:36:54 -0800

Hi,
My mind needs some clarification and the reasons why not or if it is
possible.

Autosomal DNA is used for the typical paternity tests, We get this randomly
assorted merged set of chromosomes from our mother and father.

Question? Are the markers in Y-DNA the same as the Markers used in atDNA?

What I'm trying to phrase is although the female does not get the Y
chromosomes, wouldn't the male markers in the atDNA identify a female to a
particular lineage, such as a name study.

Would the distance from the genealogical (paper trail) proven male surname.
Be harder to find in a female's atDNA study?

Ok phrasing differently: now Geneaology...

We have a male lets use name Beatty #2 who descends from known (paper trail)
ancestor, Beatty #1. WE have a female who descends from the same known paper
trail Beatty. But by two different sons of Beatty #1.. Could her atDNA study
be used to connect to his Beatty #2 yDNA study?

Nelda

This thread: