From: "Nelda Percival" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Autosomal DNA /yDNA/ Question..
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:30:41 -0800

Thank you for replying Thomas,
May I ask one more thing?

If the Autosomal DNA is used in parental testing as it was stated of a child
(male or female) then Is it the distance (time) from the male that confuses
the results.. (Please remember. I'm still learning..)

ADDITIONAL QUESTION BELOW:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Nelda,

There are quite a few markers, that are present on the X chromosome that
have parallel markers on the Y chromosome, but I have never heard about a
Y-STR marker that can be found on an autosomal chromosome, too. (allthough I
wouldn't exclude the existence completely)

A marker that is sometimes used for X & Y typing is DXYS156 [1]. This marker
is useful, because in most cases (nearly 100%) the Y allele is larger than
the X allele and can be distinguished this way. DYS413 has also
complimentary markers on the X-chromosome. But all other YSTR markers that
are used for DNA genealogy and forensics are unique at the Y chromosome.
That's why your idea will most probably not work until XYSTR markers will be
introduced into genealogical databases.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION.. Is the introduction of the XYSTR markes in the near
future? Why or Why not?

With autosomals this will definitely not work, sorry. The only hope might be
XSTR in several years. Maybe by then we know more about X/Y transchromosomal
recombinations that will let us trace Y-haplogroups on the X chromosome.

Thomas

And thank you so much for your answers
Best Regards
Nelda