From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] calculating distance
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:06:05 -0800

A genetic distance of six over 25 markers says to me that there is very
little chance of a recent ancestor during genealogical time -- that is,
since the adoption of surnames. But there is always an outside chance that
two individuals who had a common ancestor only three or four centuries ago
might have amassed a fairly large genetic distance in the interim
generations.

As to five of six values being one lower (or one higher, if you change your
frame of reference): There is no significance.

David W.