From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b Among Native American Men
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:58:51 -0600

wrote:
> However, I
> still find it puzzling that only 30% of the European sample was R1b. There were 86
> Greeks, 62 Italians, 58 Romanians, 34 Germans, 44 Russians, and 43 British.

Ann: go to www.scs.uiuc.edu/~mcdonald

Do the calculation, just by looking at red: I get 28% R1b.

R1b is NOT "European", it is "western European peninsula",
that is, Denmark to Italy and west. Not Scandinavia, nor
points east, which are variously dominated by I, N, or R1a.

Of course, if you are looking at *early post-Columbian* admixture in
American Indians, you want to look not at all Europe, but at Spain,
Portugal, and England, where R1b does dominate. For pre-Columbian,
you want to look at Iceland and Norway, were R1a, R1b, and I are
roughly equal. If you see R1b as the dominant European group,
this mean post-Columbian, or else a very small (say <5 men)
bottleneck.

Doug McDonald

This thread: