From: "ljcrain" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b Among Native American Men
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:56:49 -0600

>Oppenheimer was basing his statement about R1b being "higher than could be
explained by recent European admixture" on the 30% / 12% ratio, and I'm
still
not comfortable with that.

And I agree. How can anyone know what percentage would be higher or lower
than should be expected? What *should* be expected? Europeans have been
coming here for over 500 years. Their genes undoubtedly had an overpowering
effect due the introduction of diseases which killed up to 90% of the
Indigenous Peoples of the Americas. Some of those who survived the diseases
did so due their European admixture which conveyed an advantage of immunity.
So I don't really think it is unusual to find this 12% amount. But I would
like to hear some theories as to why it is found mostly among the Sioux.

Janet Crain

This thread: