From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: ASHKENAZ
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:08:24 -0800 (PST)

Sasson:

I am on vacation right now in Florida (hurrican-struck
Ft. Lauderdale, in fact), or would provide a much more
in-depth response to these postings on discussions of
the word "Ashkenaz."

Please state which DNA studies you are referring to in
your previous posting discussing the haplogroups in
question (specifically, you are posting about
haplogroup R and Q, it appears from my quick review of
your emails).

"Ashkenazi" as this term appears in the DNA literature
specifically refers to an ethnic group of Jews from
certain regions of Northwestern and Eastern Europe.
It does not refer to non-Jewish "gentiles." This is
opposed to "Sephardic" Jews, who lived in Spain,
Portugal and Northern Africa.

Ellen Coffman

--- Sasson Margaliot <>
wrote:

> Daviv Reynolds wrote
>
> > It is both divisive and time-wasting to have
> nonsense like this on the
> > list.
>
> It is rather the word "noncence" that is probably
> inapropriate for the list.
>
> > Could we please stick to *credible* facts?
>
> It is not about facts.
>
> The facts here are not controversial.
>
> The Haplogroups - based on the recent discovery of
> large number of SNPs -
> were established by YCC in 2002.
>
> There is also probably 100% concensus among
> researchers
> that the founders of the Haplogroups DID belong to
> some ancient tribes.
>
> If you do not like the scheeme of naming the
> Haplogroups
> based on the names of semi-mythological Biblical
> figures -
> noone reqiers you to use it.
>
> There are multiple precedents of using Biblical
> terminology
> in DNA based genealogy:
> "Seven daughers of Eve", "European Adams", "African
> Adam",
> "Eurasian Adam", etc.
>
> I did not start it.
>

> Sasson Margaliot