From: "Roberta J. Estes" <>
Subject: DNA Friendly Genealogy Software
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 17:50:02 -0500

I know this was discussed on list several months ago, but I'm hoping that
there will have been some new movement and someone will have some direct
experience with genealogical software that is supporting DNA research.

In a nutshell, this is what I want.

I want to be able to enter either mtdna or yline dna results for an
individual and have the data base automatically populate that information up
the tree and down the tree. By that I mean the following:

For women, upstream to all the maternal ancestors and then downstream again
to all of their females siblings, daughters, and sons who have the dna but
don't pass it on.

For men, upstream and downstream, but obviously this is a tad simpler since
the women aren't involved at all.

For both of these, mtdna and yline dna, if there is already dna information
there, from a previous population, there needs to be a way to update and
repopulate and to prevent futher updates from automatically updating that
particular line, unless specifically instructed to do so. This would handle
the location of mutations and also undocumented adoptions.

On my wish list I would add that you could tell at a glance if this person's
dna status is one of the following 1. the actual participant allowing for
testing company info, Ysearch or mitosearch info, etc., 2. an upstream or
downstream recipient 3. an undocumented adoption (which I would presume is
the same thing as a participants who was tested and 4. someone with no DNA
info yet.

Can anyone tell me the status of the current software packages for this type
of support? I'm not really asking about SNP testing here, but the more
standard yline and mta available from the major testing companys. SNP would
be on the wish list not the gotta have list.

How many markers to they support for yline?

Thanks,

Roberta

This thread: