Subject: Re: [DNA] News item: Personal Genome Project (a huge untapped market for DNA testing)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 09:31:43 -0800

This project has the potential of pushing the technology with obvious
& immediate benefit to all of us who are already so deeply committed.
I suggest that we promote it to the greatest degree possible. DNA
Direct has been previously mentioned on the list as one of the
retailers doing tests for mutations known to be associated with
increased risks. In fact, it is already possible using current
technology to test for quite a range of such mutations for the same
costs to the customer that we have grown accustomed to paying for our
genealogical tests. These tests of mostly autosomal markers clearly
have genealogical value as well as medical implications, & as a test
which serves two purposes, they are a very tempting target for DNA
enthusiasts. Not only would you learn your risk for a specific
disease (or conversely & beneficially, your lack of risk), you might
also clear up the mystery of how some of your ancestors met their
demise. Now throw in tests for mutations thought to be associated
with certain behavioral characteristics (for example VMAT2, aka
A33050C, aka The God Gene), & you have vastly increased the number of
marketable tests. SOME OF THESE TESTS WOULD SELL LIKE HOTCAKES &
COFFEE ON A COLD MORNING! There are a lot of people willing to take
risks to foresee their own future, & if promoted properly, this is a
huge untapped market. Pat

This thread: