From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Scientific American and N1a
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:34:12 -0800 (PST)

Part of the problem is that often times the
geneticists fail to adequately incorporate other
important areas of study in their analysis on this
issue, particularly archaeology (as well as sub-groups
such as archaeobotany). They also fail to adequately
incorporate other genetic studies, both
Y-chromosome/MtDNA and autosomal, and the Haak study
is a perfect example of this failure. Another problem
- failure to address an issue touched upon in
Caramelli's study - that the route of migrations for
anatomically modern Europeans appears to be out of the
Middle East to begin with (this is debatable, I
realize). Impact of the LGM. Impact of genetic drift
(this is biggie). Impact of land barriers, like the
Alps. Regional variations in genetic composition
(another biggie) rather than a persistent view of a
unified European gene pool.

Often, the conclusions of studies like Haak's appear
to be more a promotion of an agenda than a
presentation of a valid study on the origins of the
European gene pool.

Most scientists agree that contemporary Europeans
represent a hybrid between Near Eastern
agriculturalists and Paleolithic hunter-gatherers.
The debate rages around which had the greater impact.

Almost all the studies, save a few, fail to even touch
upon the issue I consider of extreme important and
have posted to the list about before - the
discontinuity between contemporary Europe populations
and those from the past. Europeans are significantly
different than their Neolithic ancestors and even more
so from their Paleolithic ones. Most of the studies
want to argue against drift as a factor here, but they
always fail to offer a more plausible explanation.

Ellen Coffman

--- Sasson Margaliot <>