From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: M222+ / R1b1c7
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 01:42:16 -0800

I am the M222+ individual that David Faux mentioned on the list earlier this
evening -- or maybe I should say late yesterday.

Like John McEwan I am hoping that the M222 SNP is either a superset or a
subset of what we have been calling the NW Irish variety on the basis of STR
values. My preference would be that it take in more than just his STR19Irish
cluster, though I would hesitate to guess which additional cluster(s) might
be involved.

I'm still a little cautious about the percentage of R1b1c haplotypes that
will be classified in the M222 subclade. If the scope of the SNP turns out
to be largely restricted to the NW Irish variety as currently known (which
is roughly the modal haplotype plus all haplotypes within a genetic distance
of five or six), it feels to me as though we are in the one or two percent
range. I believe that's somewhat less than R1b1c6 (SRY2627). And it appears
to be a LOT less than S21 and S28. So despite all the ink that this group
gets on this list and in the press, it remains a pretty small sliver of the
pie. Maybe the count would be higher if it hadn't been for all that
unpleasantness with the potatoes 160 years ago.

I thank both David F. and Jim W. for their willingness to investigate this
SNP.

David Wilson