From: "brian quinn" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] a German I1b2a1-Isles?
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 09:26:41 +1000

"The scene was set for a mass migration. At the invitation of Queen Anne in
the spring of 1709, about 7 000 harassed Palatines sailed down the Rhine to
Rotterdam. From there, about 3000 were dispatched to America, either
directly or via England, under the auspices of William Penn. The remaining 4
000 were sent via England to Ireland to strengthen the protestant interest.

Although the Palatines were scattered as agricultural settlers over much of
Ireland, major accumulations were found in Counties Limerick and Tipperary.
As the years progressed and dissatisfactions increased, many of these folk
seized opportunities to join their compatriots in Pennsylvania, or to go to
newly-opened settlements in Canada." http://www.coonrod.net/palat.htm

The Duke of Marlborough was assigned by Queen Anne to transport the
immigrants to England. British troop ships were also used. The Queen assumed
these Protestants would help fuel the anti-Roman feelings developing in
England. The ships from Rotterdam landed, in part, at Deptford and the
refugees were sent to one of three camps at Deptford, Camberwell, and
Blackheath outside the city wall of London. Many Londoner's welcomed the
Palatines, but the poor were not, as they felt their English food was being
taken from them to feed the Germans. British newspapers published mixed
accounts of the Palatines, some praising them while others cursed them.

Over 3,000 of these Palatines were sent to Ireland, again to reinforce the
Protestant faith in that land. The trip from England to Ireland was short,
taking only about 24 hours. Included among these immigrants were a line of
my possible ancestors, Sebastian ROCKEL (later called RUCKEL, RUCKLE, and
RUTTLE)and his wife and children. They settled on Lord Southwell's estate
near Ballingrane in County Limerick, Ireland. Several branches remained in
Ireland, becoming known as the RUTTLE's. Other branches came to New York in
the mid-1700's. "

maybe they detoured through Ireland as well?........
quinny