From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] New Populations
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:27:27 -0600

They need to survive and multiply to develop a population. I guess we might
now have dozens of opinions and speculations about what is the minimal
viable size of a new hunting group? I'd rather call that a question with
possibly but not necessarily a contribution to its answer from understanding
the distribution of haplotypes seen today in the world.

But remember the studies of surnames in Italian valleys; how the "normal"
extinctions of lines can bring areas, originally containing surname variety,
to surname dominances. Similarly, the normal extinction of ydna lines is
probably up in the 70 or 80 percent range, with wide flucuations above and
below the average extinction rate during "good" and "bad" times.

If there ever was an era for man's genes when the powerful combination of
small numbers, isolation, and differences of reproductive efficiency would
have its play it was when mankind was expanding into empty regions of the
Earth with a hunter/gatherer way of life.

But to get to a concrete question related to this all. (old) I1c and I1a
probably were among the haplogroups already in Europe when the last glacial
maximum hit. Did those two haplogroups participate together in the same
migrations in refilling Europe? Or will we be able to show that they
migrated in separate movements? I think we might be able to shed light on
such a question, and similar questions.

Ken