From: "DONALD MILLIGAN" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] irish origins and myths
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:14:32 -0700

Presumably, R1b has been present in Western Europe since the Glacier Age.
Difficult to know what the haplogroups of the earliest Celts in Eastern &
Central Europe were...quite possibly mixed haplogroups. When these early
Celts made contact with the peoples of Western Europe they brought their
haplogroups & language. Atlantic Fringe R1b folk were waiting for the
Celts, Germans, Romans and their haplogrooups.

So, in terms of migations from Western Europe to Britain & Ireland since
9000+ years, several haplogroups have participated, but R1b was the most
numerous well before the advent of Celtic into Britain & Ireland. The first
haplogoups to Britain & Ireland brought their languages & cultures.
Subsequent haplogroups brought their languages & culture, which may or may
not been similar to the languages of the first haplogroups into Britain &
Ireland.

At the point that Celt was first brought into Britain & Ireland, the folk
bringing Celtic language & culture would have embarked from the Atlantic &
possibly the Baltic Sea shores, including areas further inland along the
Atlantic Fringe. R1b & other haplogroups had been established in those
areas for centuries. Over time, some Atlantic Fringe folk had taken on
Celtic cultures & language. Some of these groups migrated to Britain &
Ireland. The folk who brought Celtic to Britain & Ireland were probably of
mixed haplogroups, with R1b in the majority. These Celtic groups who
brought their language & culture into Britain & Ireland, likely encountered
folk of various haplogroups, with R1b in the majority. That's my current
take on the issue. Thanks, Don M

Don Milligan
3003 South 253rd Street
Kent, WA 98032
253 941-0514

>From: "Andrew and Inge" <>
>Subject: [DNA] irish origins and myths
>Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:32:37 +0200
>
>Hi Ellen
>
>What you say is true, but the conclusion you draw from it might be too
>strong. The people who brought Celtic languages to Ireland most likely had
>very similar genetic make up to the Irish, because they most likely learnt
>Celtic from another invading elite, for example one from France, who most
>likely learnt it from another one, etc. With so many steps the nett effect
>is likely to be very small.
>
>So that we don't see any sign of them is perhaps not going to help us
>conclude anything either way.
>
>Best Regards
>Andrew
>
>===
>From: ellen Levy <>
>Subject: RE: [DNA] irish origins and myths
>Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
>

>Given that these guys must have been dominant enough to have imposed an
>entirely new language over a large territory, they surely imposed their
>genes as well.

>Search Family and Local Histories for stories about your family and the
>areas they lived. Over 85 million names added in the last 12 months.
>Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13966/rd.ashx

This thread: