From: "brian quinn" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] irish origins and myths
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:30:32 +1000

Ellen,

Criticism of Haak's study

"In this particular case, the reason may be because of a farmer input that
was subsequently diluted, assuming that the N1a haplotype is a marker of
spreading farmers, and that it was as rare in pre-Neolithic Europe as it is
today," Zilhao said.

But, he added, "I see nothing in the data that would necessarily carry the
exclusion of, for instance, the opposite hypothesis ... that (the N1a
marker) represents the incorporation of hunter-gatherer females in the
farming communities that are coming into Europe about 7,500 years ago, that
incorporation being in such small numbers that, eventually, it all but
disappeared."

Cro Magnon bones at Paglicci in Southern Italy were N* and date 23-25,000
years ago.

" Paglicci-25 has the following motifs: 17,025 AluI, 00073A,
11719G, and 12308A. Therefore, this sequence belongs to either
haplogroups HV or pre-HV, two haplogroups rare in general but
with a comparatively high frequencies among today's Near-
Easterners (35). Paglicci-12 shows the motifs 00073G, 10873C,
10238T, and AACC between nucleotide positions 10397 and
10400, which allows the classification of this sequence into the
macrohaplogroup N , containing haplogroups W, X, I, N1a, N1b,
N1c, and N*. Following the definition given in ref. 36, the
presence of a single mutation in 16,223 within HRVI suggests a
classification of Paglicci-12 into the haplogroup N*, which is
observed today in several samples from the Near East and, at
lower frequencies, in the Caucasus (35)."
http://web.unife.it/progetti/genetica/Giorgio/PDFfiles/pnas2003.pdf

Sorry for the long quote. However this shows that the ancestors of the
Neolithic Haak study people in Germany Austria showed the ancestral
Haplogroup from which Helena descended.

I don't know if this is just a sampling error- maybe the bones are only
preserved in caves- the last refuge of the Stone Age People whilst the
valleys were filling with Neolithic farmers with a descended mtdna(the old
random walk again and I mean the Markov Chain Monte Carlo or MCMC
statistical process)So folk in valleys are the mutated cousins of the
families in the caves. Well would be right if the cave dwellers are N and
the farmers are H or V or pre- HV etc.

There is no discontinuity of the people. The Mtdna just wanders on, but
shares a common root. The Helena in Ireland share a granny N that remained
in the Alp surrounds. They must have left home a very long time ago though.
Someone date it for me.

quinny