From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] irish origins and myths
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:25:14 -0700 (PDT)

Ken & Eric:

Actually, the aDNA are definitely not "the accepted
wisdom" of the day. In fact, populations geneticists
essentially ignore the aDNA studies (and REALLY ignore
the archaeological evidence), which is why I'm arguing
their reconstructions of genetic ancestry are probably

If your going to distinguish Atlantic R1b (of supposed
Paleolithic ancestry) from the apparent changes
undergone with mtDNA, then I see two reasonable

1. The evolutionary processes that have obviously
effected mtDNA over the last 5000 years have not
effect Y chromosome results (and then you have to come
up with a logical argument why the evolutionary
processes are different).

2. Changes are limited to sex-specific gene flow.

Ellen Coffman

Do You Yahoo!?