From: "brian quinn" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Methylation
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:58:20 +1000

There's also epigenesis (the knitting pattern is how I look at it) which
accounts really for why we are so different from chimps- there is no way we
should be all that different just on the 25000 genes.

We are only about 4% different from the chimp that's about 24,000 genes
exactly the same and 1000 a bit different. It is how they are knitted
together to make the bits and pieces that determines the very important
differences- though that may only be in the level of abstraction we can
achieve by using language and analogy etc.

course for a mouse that's about 15,000 the same and 10,000 a bit different.

Bit worrying how similar we are to plants too. Our mitochondria is something
like the chloroplast in a plant. Shouldn't be too hard to add chlorophyll to
our skins and save doing some shopping, need to doctor the nuclear genome a