From: "John McEwan" <>
Subject: R1b SNP page updated
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 14:09:08 +1200

Dear List

The R1b SNP page has been updated.

www.geocities.com/mcewanjc/r1bsnp.htm
www.geocities.com/mcewanjc/s21.htm

New aspects
* 7 new entries and updates
* Newly designed R1b SNP page. I took Dennis Wrights advice (and html
code) and made the page have two frames to provide a fixed heading and
scrolling data area. It is years since I hand coded html pages.
Hopefully: you can see the page if your browser supports frames, and the
links should all work and start up a new browser window.
* At the bottom in "squinty font" is a summary of how many individuals
have been tested for a SNP, how many are positive, and percentage
positive.

New data
* As has been reported on the list we now have 2 S21+, S29+ individuals
aka R1b1c9b. These individuals have a genetic distance of 8 at 37
markers (8 mismatches). This indicates that this is not a recent private
SNP but is better defined as a prehistoric clan SNP. In conjunction with
a total of 38 public SNP results in R1b this SNP now has reached
confirmed status according to the new ISOGG SNP tree criteria. See
www.isogg.org/tree. Both members are in R1bSTR3 haplotype cluster or as
Ken Nordtvedt defines it R1b-F2. For other members of this haplotype
cluster see http://www.geocities.com/mcewanjc/37strallhapr1bone.pdf
Please note some members of R1bSTR3 are not in this S29+ so even at 37
STR markers this group cannot be clearly distinguished. Now that the SNP
has been confirmed, individuals who are within this cluster or are close
matches to the two tested positive are encouraged to test. If we get
sufficient positives its origin and geographical distribution can be
better resolved.

* As has been reported to the list we now have 2 confirmed S21+, S26+
individuals aka R1b1c9a. These individuals have a genetic distance of 7
on 25 markers and 7 marker mismatches. This indicates that this is not a
recent private SNP but is better defined as a prehistoric clan SNP. This
SNP also called L1 or Little SNP is associated with a null at DYS439.
Based on individuals who have a null value at this marker quite a bit is
known about its origin and distribution. See

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/null439/index.aspx

http://www.geocities.com/mcewanjc/l1.htm

for further information. These individuals are often associated with
R1bSTR32 and associated clusters. In conjunction with a total of 43
public SNP test results in R1b, S26 now has reached confirmed status
according to the new ISOGG SNP tree criteria. I will leave it to Neal
Fox and Leo Little for detailed comment on the challenges awaiting
further exploration of this group. To me it seems to be determining if
it is present/originated in continental Europe and further defining its
geographical spread and surname diversity within England. Again this
will give clues to its origin.

* Just a small observation about the M222+ cluster, Some of these
members are a long way from the R1b modal and in fact they are nearly as
close to the R1a modal as the R1b modal.

* We also have a new entry Best, who is markedly distant from the
existing R1b STR clusters I have previously defined. As time goes on
these unusual haplotypes continue to appear.

Finally as usual if you note any errors or new results please contact
me. I know there are quite a few people who have SNP results who are not
on this list (mainly M222+ individuals) and I would encourage them to
contact me as the information provided helps all those interested in
their origins.

Cheers

John McEwan