From: "Nelda Percival" <>
Subject: Washingtons - Gilpins
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:51:58 -0700

Well, Hi cousin Paul...

2b. Edwin Gilpin

Edwin (also called Ewan) Gilpin, who married about 1512 to Margaret Layton,
daughter of Thomas Layton of Dalemain in county Cumberland. The Laytons
descended from Sir William de Laton of county Durham. Layton's five sons
were all great men of renown in learning and battle, three of them being
Knights of the Rhodes. Layton's wife was the daughter of Thomas Tunstall,
Lord of Thurland Castle in Lancashire. He being the grand son of Sir Richard
Tunstall who was the son of Sir Thomas Tunstall, man-at-arms at the Battle
of Agincourt in 1415. Dorothy's uncle, Sir Brian Tunstall, was killed in the
Battle of Flodden Field in 1513 against the Scots. His will is recorded 1
December 1529, in the Registry of Richmond.

Edwin and Margaret (Layton) Gilpin had ten children:

CHILDREN

1c. William Gilpin - Born about 1513. Married about 1538 to Elizabeth
Washington. Buried 23 January 1577/1578.

#1c. William Gilpin

William Gilpin, who married Elizabeth Washington, the daughter of Thomas
Washington of Hall Head, County Westmoreland, and his wife Ann Duckett.
Washington was the great-grandson of Robert Washington, Lord of Milburne,
who has as one of his descendants, U.S. President George Washington.12
(Washington was originally spelled de Wesington,) Ann was the daughter of
Thomas Duckett and Elean or Harrington. She died in 1587. Gilpin was buried
at Kendal Parish on 23 January 1577. William and Elizabeth (Washington)
Gilpin had twelve children, the eldest son was George Gilpin who inherited
Kentmere Hall. He first collected the family history and forwarded a copy to
his Uncle at The Hague . The estate passed to his son William, who passed it
to his son George, a captain in King Charles I army (according to family
tradition). Upon the K ing's defeat, all those who sided with him in the
Civil War faced terrible political turmoil. To avoid the Kentmere estate
being seized by parliament, Capt. George Gilpin deeded the Hall to an in-law
named Philipson, then fled for his life at sea and never heard of again.
Order of the birth of their children is unknown

Nelda

Nelda's websites -
http://freepages.folklore.rootsweb.com/~bonsteinandgilpin/
Gilpin DNA Project member