From: Paul Hathcoat <>
Subject: Re: Geo Washington
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 23:55:16 -0500

On Jun 2, 2006, at 11:25 PM, Glen Todd wrote:

>> Did Lafayette join the troops at Valley Forge that famous
>> winter? I am really not sure if he qualified as an
>> aristocrat back in France? I think there was at least one
>> European aristocrat/soldier helping that winter drill
>> Washington's core troops into a disciplined fighting force?
>> Van Steuben?
>
> Friedrich Wilhelm Ludolf Gerhard Augustin von Steuben. And while he
> was
> definitely a Prussian officer, there is considerable question as to
> whether
> he was really a baron; he was more of a quirky mercenary than anything
> else.
> He definitely knew his stuff, though; he was basically primarily
> responsible
> for the creation of the Continental Army as an effective fighting
> force.
>
> Glen

I should have been a bit more specific. I meant I couldn't think of a
single English aristocrat that sided with the revolution. I would
suspect that if any German or French aristocrats were here they would
have been in favor of America booting the Brits out.

On the Washington DNA subject, I just checked and there is a surname
project at FTDNA, but none of the participants trace their lineage back
to the President's family. I'll discuss it with some family members
and see if we can get hold of John A. and see if he would consider
being tested.

Paul

This thread: