Subject: Re: [DNA] Thomas Jefferson DNA [risk, error in previous post]
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 10:46:53 EDT

In a message dated 06/02/06 8:49:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes (quoting abstract of Williams' article):

> >the media and the scientific community will help the public to
> >better understand the risks as well as the benefits of genetic
> {snip}
> >and can involve unanticipated risks to the participants.
> >

> I'd like to know where they get all of this 'risk' nonsense. I've been
> both a combat Marine and a firefighter; I think that I know a little bit
> about risk, and I just plain don't see it. They think maybe the ghost of
> great-great-uncle Cedric is going to rise up out of his grave and hunt down
> the revealers of the family secret, maybe?

Maybe you consider yourself immune to the type of risk described in this
article, but if you are a project administrator, sooner or later you will have to
deal with people who are deeply distressed by the results of DNA testing,
whether through revelation of a nonpaternity event in a recent generation; or
through the destruction of a cherished paper trail put together with a great
investment of time, effort, and money; or through a finding that forces you to see
the world in a different way and perhaps even changes your sense of identity.
For instance, the article mentions that African Ancestry now offers genetic
counseling to clients who are upset to learn that they carry a "Caucasian" Y
haplotype. The Woodson case was particularly egregious because the participant
learned of the nonpaternity event in his line through the media, but project
administrators must also take care in publicizing participants' names in advance
of DNA results, even when they are delighted to have found a potential
"missing link."

BTW, I made an error in my previous post: when I looked at the original
article again, the nonpaternity event could have been in one of two generations.
Lesson learned -- don't trust my memory!

Ann Turner

This thread: