From: "Jackson Montgomery-Devoni" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] ABO Blood Groups
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:01:10 -0400

Thank you Bonnie, that is really what I wanted was some criticism and new
opinion on this subject (I am not being sarcastic). I am now tending to
agree with you since D'Adamo does not really seem to have any good
references in his book and since blood types tend to be so wide spread it
does not really seem to me that they are good indicators of ancestry. I just
started this post to see what others thought of this topic as well.

Cheers,
Jackson

>From: Bonnie Schrack <>
>Subject: Re: [DNA] ABO Blood Groups Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:01:06 -0400
>
>Hi Jackson,
>You wrote:
>
>>Recently I came across an interesting book called Eat Right 4 Your Type by
>>Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo. No I am not sure how good his sourced and such are
>>but nonetheless it is an interesting read and topic.
>
>Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I believe this book is considered to be
>without any basis in scientific fact by those in the field. I am not a
>nutritionist myself, but from all I have read, I would urge folks on the
>list not to put too much credence in it.
>
>There is a gradually developing body of knowledge about links between
>various genes and the way our bodies assimilate foods, but these do not
>correspond to ABO blood groups. ABO blood groups just are not very
>relevant to a lot of things, but people often tend to latch onto them
>because they are fairly simple and most people already know their blood
>type.
>
>Some of what you cited should be pretty easy to demonstrate as unreliable
>information, for example:
>
>>Blood group A originated among the first farmers
>
>>Blood group B originated among nomads who were dairy eating people
>
>According to what I've learned, all of the blood types are found in
>non-human primates, so they can hardly have originated as recently as the
>time of the first farmers or dairy-eating nomads. We have a primatologist
>on the list, I believe, maybe he can confirm this. In any case, I don't
>think that anthropologists, geneticists, etc. would agree that it's
>possible to make the above statements.
>
>I will be meeting with Dr. Fatimah Jackson on Wednesday, who is an expert
>in the relationship between different dietary ingredients and human
>population genetics, and I'll try to remember to ask her to opinion of this
>book.
>
>Bonnie

>Find your ancestors in the Birth, Marriage and Death Records.
>New content added every business day. Learn more:
>http://www.ancestry.com/s13964/rd.ashx

Play Q6 for your chance to WIN great prizes.
http://q6trivia.imagine-live.com/enca/landing

This thread: